Hellboy '53

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

HELLBOY STUDIES (detail). 2015.
Ink and watercolor on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

I'm very excited to announce that I'll be penciling a 3-issue mini-series for Dark Horse, Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: 1953! My Dad will be providing the macabre inks, with that classic-Hellboy palette provided by the great Dave Stewart. The story will be co-written by Chris Roberson and Mike Mignola. Awesome!

How'd I get the gig? Last year, Mignola accepted my friend request on Facebook. How cool is that? As you may have heard, I've had my hands full lately (with a certain tiny lady), but I can't wait to get started. I'll show what I can, when I can, but for now you can take a peek at my character studies.

As for my own book, I know I keep pushing it back (I know), but I keep getting hard-to-turn-down offers. The good news is, I finished the official "treatment" and have sent it off to my trusted writer-friends (and anyone else who was misguided enough to offer their help).

9 comments :

  1. Thanks for sharing Mr. Paolo Rivera. Congratulations to you and your father, excellent work until now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. And nope. Sorry! (and I always list my cons for the year in the sidebar... no more in 2015)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sad, one of my favorite pieces is a watercolor of Kirby's gray Hulk that you made for my son a few years back...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited for this!!! So many of my favorite creators on one project! I can't wait!!! you're gonna knock this out of the park! Those studies are fantastic. You always know how to get to the core of a character Paolo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really cool news and I'm loving the studies. I think a thicker neck would make it look a bit more balanced but that might just be talking out my ass. Anyway, really looking forward to seeing your work on Hellboy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I hear you on the neck. Had to figure out a way to make him look slightly younger... he'll be in his early 20s here, at least in human years.

      Delete
    2. That's a good point. Though he was already fully matured by age 8 or something like that and if we look at how the art for "young" Hellboy has been handled by Mignola and Alex Maleev, he does look pretty much the same, but I can understand wanting to go with something to make a difference.

      I do think the color study does make him look younger even without the neck since he doesn't look as grizzled as for example Maleev did him. So I personally feel that a beefed up neck would improve the overall design without taking away the youth.

      But since you seem to already working on the comic I suppose all this won't really be making a difference about how to tackle the neck. I do hope you don't mind the feedback.

      Now don't take this as me putting down your opinion or anything like that and sorry for ranting but I just think it's an interesting discussion.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.