Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 267

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

RAI #2. 2014. Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board, 11 × 17″.

Rai #2 came out last week (preview here)! This is what happens when you fly through the wall of a spaceship. Hope I never know what that feels like. As you can see in the original art below, I did all the stars digitally. I made a brush that randomly sprays circles of varying brightness. It doesn't work perfectly, but it's great in a pinch (and I've never not been in a pinch). It also saves my Dad from having to ink all all the space in the universe.


And introducing the Silver Surfer as Rai!


inks by my Pops!
blue-line print of pencils

















pencils over digital sketch
digital sketch

















digital layouts

5 comments :

  1. I know I've said it before but thank you so much for posting these breakdowns - especially the thumbnails. The next time you're at a con near me, I'm going to walk up and throw money and praise at you or something. :)

    Speaking of thumbnails, I actually like the second one the best and was wondering why you didn't go with that one? I ask so I'll better understand what I should be drawing as opposed to what I may think looks the best. Granted it's ultimately up the editor, but I was just curious as to why this was the one selected.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Jason! I will try my best at the con to catch both money and praise.

      You're right to assume that it's up to the editor. That's why you have to be sure that you're happy with everything that you submit — artists are constantly relate stories of editors picking their least favorite. If I have a particularly strong concept, I'll just send one, but you have to have a good relationship with the editor in order to do that.

      With regard to this one in particular, the other give a better sense of the situation, but the final will do just fine on the shelf. Also, this was a variant, a category of cover that can live by different rules.

      Delete
    2. Ahhh... I didn't take into consideration that this was also a variant cover and as you said, the rules are a little more lax.

      Thanks Paolo

      Delete
  2. I´d love to know what are your decisions for selecting the thumbnails :) Some look like odd choices for me bc some look even cooler. Oh oh! And also if possible, how to you handle all the files once you have finished a project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see my reply to the other comment above. As for keeping things organized, I tend to keep files from one project together, nested in folders organized by publisher. I also have a file 3-letter naming convention that can act as a tag while searching: col, ink, pcl, lyt... etc.

      Delete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.