Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 263

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

NEW AVENGERS #17 VARIANT COVER. 2014.
Ink(ed by Joe Rivera) on bristol board (with digital color), 11 × 17″.

This variant cover hit shelves last week (preview) but I'm always casually late to the party. I used my a 1-pt perspective radial for the bullet trails, along with a "color hold" to lighten them up. I'll go into more detail about that process in the last installment of my coloring series, which posts on Monday. The digital layout at the bottom of the post was one of the first sketches I created using Kyle T. Webster's Photoshop brushes. He gave me a huge set, and I've been having a blast with all the options. Definitely worth a shot — he's got some freebies in his shop to try out.


Look! No cleavage!


inks by my Pops
blue-line print of pencils

















pencils over digital sketch
digital sketch

















digital layout

5 comments :

  1. Paolo. Your art is just too much. And very much like to see the process from sketch to final art. One question: in what software you do digital sketch? And how do then to put the pencil on top? Lightbox? Tanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do all my digital sketching in Photoshop, then print it out onto bristol board in light colors, and pencil on top of that. I used to lightbox, back in the day, but not anymore.

      Delete
  2. Why did you omit the background buildings from second digital sketch when you penciled the third piece? I like the way they framed the characters but I can also see where it would make it feel crowded.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a cost/benefit analysis — adding them in would've taken more time, but wouldn't have really added much to the piece. I usually shy away from backgrounds (especially on covers) unless there's an express purpose for them.

      Delete
  3. Understood and great advice. As always thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.