Wacky Reference Wednesdays, No. 95

Tuesday, February 23, 2010


Mythos: Ghost Rider, Page 18 (panel 4 detail). 2006.
Acryla Gouache and gouache on bristol board, 8 x 12".



Here I am posing as a distraught Johnny Blaze, aka Ghost Rider, racing out of the cemetery where his adopted parents are buried. I took this shot mainly for hand reference, but, as you can see, I can't seem to help myself from hamming it up. Such intensity for a guy wearing a "Paco's Tacos" t-shirt.




On an earlier page, we have an establishing shot of the cemetery, which was inspired by an actual cemetery in Daytona Beach, FL. Daytona natives (especially ones with motorcycles) will probably recognize it.

For extra "points," can anyone name the painting that the following panel was an homage to? It's a stretch. I'll give you one hint: the painter is French.


Mythos: Ghost Rider, Page 8 (panel 2 detail). 2006.
Acryla Gouache and gouache on bristol board, 8 x 12".



12 comments :

  1. FIRST! Never tried the mirror reference technique. Why didn't I think of that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. SECOND! This is a trick I use all the time. In fact, several of my reference photos are taken in two stages, one from each hand. It's much quicker than setting a tripod up and trying to envision your pose from a different point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Huh- funny, I though you might want to set up a tripod to make life easier. Maybe a mirror behind the tripod? anyway, I love the reference photos- combination of an intense dude on a non-existent bike holding a point and shoot- well, you can't beat it

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Angelus, by Jean Francois Millet is the painting referenced in your graveyard scene. Now where are my points? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vincent, I'm afraid that's not it. Good guess, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, JP. I've definitely used the tripod in conjunction with the mirror, just not in this instance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Burial at Ornans, Gustave Courbet. Ba-bam. It's all in the dog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eleanor, you rock!!!!!! I hereby award you "points" and bragging rights.

    ReplyDelete
  9. NINTH! The hands came out great even though you weren't holding anything...and now I want a TACO!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Leia. As for the Taco, you'd have to ask Paco for that. I only have "points."

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE how you captured the lighting in both paintings, Paolo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, C-Rod! I definitely didn't follow the reference when it came to the lighting.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © The Self-Absorbing Man
Design out of the FlyBird's Box.